Cook Time and Temp: 45-50 minutes, at 350F
- 1 c. of all-purpose flour (self-rising works, as well)
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) of butter, softened
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. of lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- extra powdered sugar, for dusting the cooled cookies (about 2 Tbs.)
- Heat oven to 350F
- Mix together the first three ingredients, and press the dough into an ungreased 8" x 8" baking dish, working the edges up the sides about 1/2".
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Beat together the sugar, lemon juice, peel, baking powder, salt and eggs with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes on high until fluffy, and the color gets a bit lighter yellow. Note: a whisk will work, but it takes forever.
- Pour the filling into the hot crust, and return it to the oven for another 25-30 minutes
- Let cool, and dust with the additional powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars
This recipe can be doubled, if using a 9" x 13" oven dish.