Cook time: 15-20 minutes on the stovetop for the filling; 15 minutes in the oven at 375F, plus another approximately 45 minutes at 350F
- 1+ qts. of strawberries, washed, cored, and sliced
- 3/4 c. of granulated sugar
- 1 c., plus 2-3 Tbs. of flour
- 5-6 Tbs. of butter
- squirt of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
- 1/2. c. of brown sugar
- 1 graham cracker crust (pre-made is fine)
- cook the sliced strawberries with 2 Tbs. of butter, 2-3 Tbs. of flour, nutmeg, lemon juice, and the granulated sugar until they cook down, and the juice thickens up a bit
- pour them into a strainer over another pot, and let the juice drip through
- reduce the juice by about 1/3 to 1/2 until it thickens some more, while the strawberries cool
- melt 3-4 Tbs. of butter, add the brown sugar and flour, then mix it until crumbly
- spread the strawberries out in the pie crust, and pour the reduced juice over them
- sprinkle the topping over it, and bake at 375F for about 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350F, and bake for another 45 minutes or so.
- cool on a rack and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, and a sprig of mint
- The top on this pie browned more than I would have liked, but did so almost all within the first 10 minutes in the oven.
- Normally, I'd use a regular pie crust, but I didn't have enough butter, so I went with a store-bought graham cracker crust I happened to have on hand.
- I recommend using a cookie sheet under the pie dish, since the filling will bubble over a little.