Friday, July 13, 2012

Zucchini and Straightneck Pie

This is sort of a white pizza, topped with zucchini, yellow squash, and a few slices of cherry tomato.  The "white" part is a combination of ricotta with a little cream cheese, salt, pepper, and finely chopped fresh rosemary.  On top of the squash, I sprinkled some ground cayenne, and finely chopped fresh oregano.  Every veggie and herb used, including the cayenne that I dried and ground myself, came from our own kitchen garden or herb garden.

Bake at 400F for about 40-45 minutes (the crust is more like a pie crust than a true pizza dough, so it needs the extra time).  That's parchment paper underneath the pizza, so I don''t have to clean the cookie sheet.  ;)

It's surprisingly rich, despite my use of part-skim ricotta, and only an ounce or two of light cream cheese.  Also, it was surprisingly good.  I was inspired by something similar on Foodbuzz from a few days ago, but changed around the seasonings, and added the tomatoes, which turned out to be a good move.


No comments: