Monday, August 31, 2009

Recipe: Crisp Toffee Bars

I've had this recipe for as long as I can remember, and have no idea where I got it. Haven't made it in years, but when I was flipping through my recipe box, I came across it and remembered how much I love these things.

Yield: one 11" x 17" jelly roll pan
Time: 10-15 minutes prep; 25 minutes baking at 350F

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) of butter
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. sifted flour
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts
Method:
  1. thoroughly cream together the butter, sugar, and vanilla
  2. add flour, about half a cup at a time, and mix well between additions
  3. stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts
  4. press the dough into the jelly roll pan
  5. bake for 25 minutes until golden brown
  6. cut into bars while still warm, then let cool completely before removing from the pan
Note: if you use a smaller pan, the bars will be thicker, and you'll probably have to add a few minutes to the bake time.

No comments: